The first church in this location, which used to lie outside of the city, was built by the Bishop of Passau in 1147. Vienna became an episcopal see in 1469 and the cathedral has presented itself in its current form ever since 1500. It is an imposing gothic building with a distinctive south tower and striking imperial, city and national coats of arms emblazoned on the roof.
The enclosed space inside also is truly impressive. The themed tours are especially worthwhile: They take visitors down into the catacombs and dukes’ tombs, through the chambers housing the cathedral treasures, up and down countless stairs through the huge organ and up to the tower, roof and tower chambers.